Happy Advocacy Wednesday,
We have TWO action items on the agenda for today.
1. As you may know, the Trump administration is considering ending Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for Haitians, rather than extending the program. AILA has expressed grave concerns regarding this prospect and has called on DHS to do the right thing and extend Haiti TPS. There is bipartisan Congressional support for protecting the thousands of Haitian nationals. Don’t forget to also email your members of Congress to urge DHS Secretary Kelly to re-designate TPS for Haitian nationals. Here are some sample tweets to use as well to show support for Haiti TPS
· .@DHSgov: Haiti is still struggling to rebuild after major disasters. Let’s make sure we protect families. #SaveTPS
· Ending Haitian #TPS would reduce Social Security & Medicare contributions by $42M per year – that’s bad for all Americans. #SaveTPS
· Thank you @SenBillNelson and @SenatorMenendez for leading bipartisan efforts to #SaveTPS for Haiti Nationals! http://ow.ly/jJgf30bBWvd
[Insert attached graphic]
· Ending Haitian #TPS betrays America’s history of being a nation of immigrants. #AILAStandsWithImmigrants
Don’t forget to use the following hashtag: #SaveTPS #AILAStandswithImmigrants
2. As you already know, the Illinois TRUST Act is one step closer to becoming law. As this bill gets ready to be introduced in the House, we could sure use some help to gain traction! Here are some same Tweets you can send out to show your support for the bill.
· We support the TRUST Act along with over 60 other community orgs in Illinois! Sign up to support a #WelcomingIL: http://www.trustinil.org/organizational_endorsement_letter
· Over 60 orgs in Illinois support a #WelcomingIL. @[your rep], the TRUST Act needs your support!
Thanks for your support on these important advocacy issues!
Chicago Chapter Advocacy Committee